Wednesday, January 4, 2012

How to break monotony in your writing

I have been an examiner of 1119 English. What I really enjoyed was reading a piece of writing that did not bore me. I could tell it because I did not see repetition of the same expression often. The candidate varied his style of writing and he had a good command of the English language besides having a wide vocabulary.

When we write an essay, we should bear in mind our readers. They are the ones who will decide whether to read your written work or not. As such, variation of the style of writing, using different expression to put the same message across is what you need to do. In this respect, mastery of the language in terms of grammar, idioms, synonyms and so on should not be overlooked.

To put it in a nutshell, using various sentence structures, putting different words bearing the same meaning in your writing and inventing clear but interesting expressions will do the tricks of drawing readers to peruse what you have written.

If you are aware, I am just doing that in the preceding paragraphs.

Happy writing to all readers and English language learners.

No comments: