Tuesday, July 28, 2009

It needs time to form a new habit

A friend told me that according to research, a habit can only be formed after certain habit or way of doing things is repeatedly done for 60 days. Hence, we find it difficult to change to a new habit. If what my friend said is true, I suppose we have to repeat doing the new habit every day until we get used to doing it and stick to it then.

It reminds me of how I often forget a new word I have learnt after some time for lack of use of it or have no chance to come across it again in reading. Reinforcement helps to retain words and other data in our memory. It is like driving. Because we drive every day, we don't have to think of how to engage our gear and when to change it. All these just come naturally or spontaneously.

Hence it needs time to form a new habit.

So much for discussion about habit-forming.

No comments: