Sunday, June 29, 2008

Working Outstation

When I was working or rather teaching in St Theresa Secondary in 1989, I had to travel from Penang to Sungai Petani daily. It was a tiring year for me. Let me explain why it was so.

As I lived in Jelutong, I had to take the first bus at 5.30 to reach the peer so as to catch the 6.00 or 6.10 ferry to Butterworth. There I would board the 6.30 bus to Sungai Petani. To reach my school, I had to walk for ten minutes.

Usually, I would not be late for school which commenced at 7.40 a.m.

I had lunch in the canteen, then it was my journey back to Penang. A colleague would usually give me a lift to the bus station to take the 2.30 bus to Butterworth. By 3.10 I would on the ferry to Penang Island. The 3.30 bus would take me home. By the time I reached home, it was 4.00 p.m. Imagine having to spend 11 hours to work outstation. I would be home by 5.00 pm or later if I missed any bus.

No comments: