Friday, December 9, 2011

When old friends met


Tan Jee Peng (4th from L), me, Boo Cheng Kee, Boo' wife,
Tan Dek's wife and Tan Dek

Imagine meeting your old friends who served as teachers 37 years ago again!

Well, I did meet them. They were Boo Cheng Kee, Tan Dek and Tan Jee Peng. We gathered in front of Royal Selangor Pewter, Straits Quay, Penang.

We talked of old time most of the time. Boo had us in stitches when he related incidents which he could remember vividly. He mentioned Anchor Chong, a teacher whose hobby is drinking Anchor beer. The lockjaw that I suffered three decades ago was also one of the incidents recalled. You can read about the incident in one of the posts under the label 'Reminiscence of Life in Jerantut'.

In one of the incidents mentioned by Boo, one Mr Phang, a Commissioner of Oath for Civil Marriages used to say 'Zhu Shen' (which means 'You Animal' when he meant ' speak louder because his Mandarin was very poor. He could have said 'Shuo da shen yi dian') when he asked the bride and bridegroom in front of him to vow that they were sincere in wanting to tie the nuptial knot.

We took some photos but I could not produce them here because I did not bring my camera along. I will try to put some here if I ever received from my old friends later.

Later we adjourned to Mr Bala's house. He was a lecturer of a teacher's college and Boo's friend. We had more vigorous talk of life in old Jerantut. Then when it was time for lunch we had our fill at a vegetarian restaurant in Burmah Road.

We hope to meet again.

No comments: