Monday, April 19, 2010

The first 10 Japanese vowels

In this post, I shall introduce the ten Japanese vowels and their pronunciation. I am able to input Japanese thanks to the NJStar Japanese Word Processor which I downloaded from the Internet.
As I have just started learning the vowels, I will share the experience with readers of this post as I go along. I took the trouble to memorise all the 50 sounds by reading and writing repeatedly every day. Hence you should just contend yourself with this ten sounds first. There are 40 more to come if you are interested.

あ い う え お か き く け こ

あ [a] is pronounced as AH as in 'are'.
い [i] is pronouced as 'i' as in 'idiot;,
う [u] is pronounced as 'oo' in 'wood'.
え [e] is pronounced as 'a' as in 'able'
お [o] is pronounced as 'au' as in 'auto'

か[ka] is pronounced as 'ca' as in 'car' but hard 'c'
き [ki] is pronounced as 'ki' as in 'kitten' but hard 'k'
く [ku] is pronounced as 'ku' as in 'coo' as in 'coolant' but hard 'c'
け [ke] is pronounced as 'ca' in 'cater' but hard 'c'
こ [ko] is pronounced as 'co' in 'coincident' but hard 'c'

The above are the rough equivalent of the sounds of the vowels. To listen to the accurate pronuncatiation, go to any free online Japanese website and you will be able to listen to the correct pronunciations.

No comments: