Saturday, January 9, 2010

Some common mistakes in English committed by Malaysian students

In the course of teaching English to students in Malaysia, I find that my students have the tendency of constructing sentences based on their own mother tongues. I shall elaborate such types of errors in the following paragraphs.

A very common error committed by Malay students is the use of a preposition in front of 'there'. An example is "We had a lot of fun at here." The correct sentence should be "We had a lot of fun there." This mistake is most probably caused by the Malay structure 'di sana' [literally: at there].

Another error is the use of 'send'when 'take' is intended. For example, some of my students will write "I sent my brother to the nearest clinic immediately." which is wrong. The correct sentence should be 'I took my brother to the nearest clinic immediately." This error must have been influenced by the Malay word 'hantar' (send) which can be used for this purpose.

As for my Chinese pupils, they will make mistakes such as the ones below:
"My mother called me to buy her a kilogram of sugar." In Hokkien it is uttered as 'Gua ei ma kieo gua bay hor hee chi kilo ei th'ng." where 'kieo' is the equivalent of "call". However, standard English should be worded as "My mother asked me to buy her a kilogram of sugar."

A classic error committed by Chinese students here is the use of 'there have' when 'there are' should be used. For example, they will write a sentence such as the one below:
There have many types of food sold in the supermarket.
The correct sentence should be: 'There are many types of food sold in the supermarket.'

No comments: