Sunday, July 19, 2009

Using inverted sentences

As I said in my earlier post, we could use different words bearing the same meaning in our essays for variety. In this post I will talk about using inverted sentences as a way to show variety in our writing.

Look at some inverted sentences which you can use in your literary works as shown below:
1 Little did I realise that a pickpocket was behind me. [cf I did not realise that a pickpocket was behind me.]

2 So happy was I that I hugged my mum tightly. [cf I was so happy that I hugged my mum tightly.]

3 Only then did I wake up to find myself in a hospital. [cf I woke up then and found myself in a hospital.]

4 Into the shop we went. [cf I went into the shop.]

5 Come Sunday and I will be at Pak Ismail's stall buying Malay newspapers for my students. [cf When Sunday comes, I will be Pak Ismail's stall buying Malay newspapers for my students.]

Using sentences like the ones above helps to add variety to your essays but don't overdo it.
I am sure you can construct other inverted sentences for your use.

Here will I end my post today.

No comments: