Friday, June 5, 2009

Reduce the use of plastic bags

This morning, when I went to the clinic where I used to see my family doctor to buy a bottle of cough mixture, I was attracted by a poster which read 'Reduce the use of plastic bags'. When I told the receptionist my name and the medicine I wanted to buy, I got what I asked for minus the plastic bag. Hence I carried the bottle home in full view of other patients.

It is a good idea to reduce the use of plastic bags most of which are not biodegradable. We have enough rubbish to be disposed off and we should not let plastic bags lie idle in the rubbish dump.

In one hypermarket, the management encourages shoppers to bring along their baskets so that no plastic bags are needed.

When I do my morning shopping at the market, I do try reducing the use of plastic bags by putting whatever is possible into the bag I got from the first seller and turning down the offer of plastic bags from other sellers.

No comments: