Saturday, May 16, 2009

Teacher's Day

Today is Teacher’s Day in Malaysia. Although I have retired from being a government teacher, I am still doing a teaching job as a private tutor. Hence Teacher’s Day still means something to me.

When I was teaching in Sek Men St Theresa in Sungai Petani, Kedah I used to look forward to this day. I supposed all my colleagues had the same mind-set too. On this day, each of the classes would be holding class parties and among those invited would be their teachers. One particular class where Koh Choon Hong was a student was our favourite stopover. We enjoyed savouring the restaurant curried chicken prepared by his father, the owner of a restaurant there.

Besides food, the teachers had the chance to feast their eyes on the variety show put up by students on stage. There would be students singing their hearts out with songs to entertain the teachers. Traditional Chinese, Malay and Indian dances were quite entertaining too. We could never imagine how they could come up with such an excellent performance given the short period of time for preparation. The sketches put us in stitches for quite some time too.

The best part of the day was that teachers and pupils alike thoroughly enjoyed themselves playing games such as football, table-tennis and volley ball. The cheering team usually favoured the teachers, to our surprise

No comments: