Monday, March 24, 2008

How to use 'a little' and 'a few' correctly

In English, ‘a little’ is used in front of uncountable nouns such as money, water, oil, time,etc.

e.g. a) There is a little water left in my glass.

b) I need a little more time to finish my assignment.

c) If you give a little thought to what you want to do, you will be able to do it better.

d) We spent only a little money per day as we do not earn much.

e) They need a little help from us.

On the other hand, ‘a few’ is placed in front of countable nouns such as books, cars, pens, etc.

e.g. a) A few boys are still playing in the field.

b) I went to see a few friends who lived there.

c) She has just enough money to buy a few books only.

d) There are a few things which I would like to tell you.

e) Here are a few tips on how to make your computer run faster.

No comments: