Wednesday, February 13, 2008

How to use past perfect tense.

In my earlier post, I discussed how to use present perfect tense. Today, I will talk about how past perfect tense is used.

The past perfect tense usually pairs with simple past tense. These are the things you need to bear in mind when using past perfect tense:

a) Use past perfect tense for the action done / happened earlier.

b) Use simple past tense for the action done / happened later.

Example 1

I had taken my breakfast when I went out. [Taking breakfast is the action done earlier than going out.]

Example 2

No sooner had I reached home than it rained. [Reaching home happened earlier than raining.]

Example 3

My brother had done his homework before he watched television.

[Doing homework took place earlier than watching television.]

No comments: