Wednesday, December 26, 2007

English Is Fun to Learn


English is fun to learn. Believe me when I say this. My experience in learning and mastering the language can be a good example for those interested in learning English .

When I was studying in Form Remove (a transition class for students from Chinese-medium primary school with a lot of English thrown in to prepare them for secondary school where English was the medium of instruction), I had to look up the meaning of every new word in English that I came across. Hence my English-Chinese dictionary was really well-thumbed. The effort really paid off. Later, I referred to it less often and my interest in the language grew from day to day. To tell you the truth, I was able to read Enid Blyton's adventure series such the 'Aventure Five' with ease then. An Indian second bookstore really helped me a lot in improving my English.

You see, I needed only to pay 30 sen for a second-hand Enid Blyton book for the first time. Thereafter I just paid 10 sen for another title of the same series when I returned him the earlier book. In this way, I read almost all the Enid Blyton books available in the bookstore.

Then I went on to read Agatha Christie's and Sherlock Holme's thrillers. Sometimes I would read the whole book until I finished it the same day. This is the thrill of reading.

Reading is very important if one wants to master English. When we read very often the sentence structures will be impressed on our mind. As such, writing correct sentences comes naturally. We will also be using prepositions correctly. Of course, we must read books written by British authors. It is undeniable that we still need to study grammar. I was lucky because I had very good English teachers who gave me very good grounding in this respect.

I still find English fun to learn. Where else can you find a language whose pronunciation cannot be based on the spelling alone? Now, tell me how do you pronounce 'though','through','thorough', 'tough' and 'cough' or 'corpse' and 'corps'?

The same word can also be pronounced differently as is shown in the following sentences:

1 They refuse to dispose of refuse properly.

2 The first row of boys had a row with the second row of girls.

In the first sentence, the first 'refuse' is pronounced as 're fius' as compared to 'rare fius' for the second one.

The word 'row' in Sentence 2 is pronounced as 'rou' which rhymes with 'low' whereas the pronunciation for the second 'row' is 'rau' as in '

Happy learning and mastering English.


No comments: