Friday, April 1, 2011

How I prepared for windows crash this time

I just bought a Dell desktop, the recent Crazy Deals powered by AMD Athlon II X4 Processor. As the computer I arrived I set about configuring Windows 7 64-bit as the OS was pre-installed.

If you still remember, I have done reinstalling of Windows at time 10 times with my old sets thanks to Windows crash. This time, I planned ahead before the arrival of my new pc. All software and drivers needed were burnt on a DVD. Hence when the set reached my hands, I installed what I wanted.

I partitioned my 1 terabyte hard disk into two, that 200G and 800G. The former is my C drive and the second my data drive. Then came the task I deemed important - backing up my system.

Windows backup did a good job and I had the backup file in my 2.5" external hard disk. The repair disc was burnt too. In case of a crash, I can always boot this disc and recovered my system with the help of my backup file in the external hard disk.

As a precaution, I also used Macrium Reflect (a freeware which I introduced to readers through this blog some time earlier) to back up my system too. This software also helped me to prepared a self-booting rescue disk.

This is the best time to back up my system as everything is working perfectly just like a new car running for the first time on the road.

No comments: