Thursday, March 17, 2011

Honesty is the best policy

It was such a coincidence that I witnessed two real cases of honesty shown by two different people, a woman and a man.

This morning, I was on my usual trip to Jelutong market to have my breakfast when I was touched by the act of a woman who bought newspaper from the vendor from whom I bought my newspapers, namely The Star and Kwong Wah Yit Poh. When I was there, I saw a woman returning one ringgit and twenty sen to the newspaper vendor. She told her that it was embedded in the newspaper that she had bought. How honest the lady was!

After breakfast, my wife and I were on our rounds to buy our things. We stopped at a hardware stall to buy a can opener. A Malay lady was beside us buying something too. Then she gave the man five ringgit. On checking, the hardware vendor realised that there were two five-ringgit notes. Immediately he called her back because he wanted to return the extra five ringgit to her. Another case of honesty being displayed right in front of me again.

As I have said in my earlier posts, our lives are full of causes and effects. If your take someone's things or money, somehow or other you will have to repay him or her in this life and the next life and you will have to pay more. That is how karma works. Hence we should not take what is not ours.

In short, honesty is the best policy.

No comments: