Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Improving one's English through reading

Through my own experience, reading English materials such as newspapers, magazines, books and posters helps one to master the English language.

When I was still in Form 1, I had the chance to read books written by Enid Blyton cheaply. I have mentioned in my earlier post that I paid onl 10 cents per book after having paid 40 cents for the first Enid Blyton book. The Indian man who operated a second-hand book store at Tek Soon Street in Penang charged me only ten cents when I returned one Enid Blyton in exchange for one which I had not read before. Initially I came across a lot of words which I did not know, but I took the trouble to find out their meanings. As I read more and more books, those words became my friends and I knew them well.

As for newspapers, I still remember how I read the old newspaper that was used to wrap things bought by my mum. I read them and looked up the dictionary for words whose meanings I did not know.

Reading helps one to master prepositions which form an important part of the English language. Constant reading will make you have remember how prepositions are used without you realising it.

1 comment:

Eni said...

I am exhilarated to learn that Enid Blyton's books inspired you to read more books. I too as a child read a lot of Enid Blyton books. Thus, as a result of my fondness for Enid Blyton's books, I decided to write and publish a book on her, titled, The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage (www.bbotw.com).
Stpehen Isabirye