Friday, January 15, 2010

What follows ‘be’

The verb-to-be ‘be’ is an interesting word. You can use it at the beginning of a sentence such as the one below:

Be good always.


It can also be appear in the middle of a sentence as exemplified below:

I realized that I would be late for school when I woke up late this morning.


So far, the sentences that I have constructed have adjectives following the verb-to-be ‘be’.


Let us see what other words can be used behind ‘be’.

1 Past participles can be used after ‘be’.

Example: Be prepared to work if you want to be a member of the staff here.


2 Nouns can be placed behind ‘be’.

Example: Let us be champions of this cause.


3 A gerund can be used at the back of ‘be’.

Example: I will be going for an audition soon.


4 ‘Be’ can also be followed by a pronoun.

Example: If you want a volunteer for this job, let it be me.


5 You can use a preposition behind ‘be’ too.

Example: This book will be of use to researchers.


6 An adverb can come after ‘be’.

Example: I will be there as usual.


I hope you know what to put behind ‘be’ when you make your sentences in any post or assignment.


Be with me along the path of learning the English language.


No comments: