Sunday, May 24, 2009

How to use ‘being’ to replace verbs-to-be

For variety in our writing, we can always make use of ‘being’ to replace verbs-to-be such as ‘is’, ‘are’, ‘was’ and ‘were’ in our sentences. In this post I am going to show readers how to do it.

Let us look at how we can write the same sentence using ‘being’ to replace verb-to-be in a sentence. These are the examples:

1 When I was there, I felt very happy.
Being there made me very happy.

2 As I am slim, they like me.
Being slim makes them like me.

3 When we are hungry we eat whatever is offered to us.
Being hungry, we eat whatever is offered to us.

4 He is rich and he enjoys a good life.
Being rich enables him to enjoy a good life.

I hope readers will try their hands at making two sentences of the same meaning as I have shown above.

1 comment: