Saturday, March 7, 2009

A better way to mark objective answer sheets

When I was still a temporary teacher in Heng Ee Secondary School in Penang, I was asked to teach Malay in Form 2 and Form 3. After a month, we had the first term test. For the Malay language, two papers were set - one essay question and one multiple-choice paper.

After the test, I had to mark both papers. For the essay part, I marked as usual. However, I found it tedious to mark the 60 objective answers for each pupil. As I was doing the marking laboriously, one experienced teacher passed by and laughed at me. He told me that there was a better way to do it. According to him, since the answers were shaded on objective answer sheets, what I needed to do was to cut the holes where the answers were on one blank answer sheet. Then I would only need to place this sheet with holes over the students' answer sheets and tick where shaded answers showed through the holes Well, I never thought of that, being inexperienced as it was my first teaching job. Later I learned that I must not be cheated by pupils who shaded more than one answers for one question. Hence before I did any marking, I screened through the answer sheets to make sure that only one answer was shaded for each question answered.

It shows that we gain experience as we go along life's path.

No comments: