Tuesday, May 27, 2008

How to save your energy while cycling up a slope

When I was still studying, I used to visit my buddy, Yong who lived in Balik Pulau. There were many slopes we had to climb with our bicycles.

Yong had a way of doing it easily. It is really quite simple. All you have to do is to cycle diagonally to the left and diagonally to the right alternately. The pull of gravity helps to move our bicycles and we need just a little bit of energy to move our two-wheelers forward. If you don’t believe me, you can always do the experiment yourself to prove my claim.

At that time, traffic was not heavy as there was hardly any vehicle coming up the hilly road. Hence we cycled up slopes using the above method, saving a lot of our energy. We took our own sweet time to do an uphill job.

No comments: