Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The joy of teaching

When I was a boy, I dreamt of becoming a teacher. This dream was realised when I graduated from a teachers' college in 1973.

I really enjoyed teaching in Jerantut, Pahang where I mingled well with students. Seeing improvement in my students really made me happy because all my effort was paid off.

One year, I was asked to teach Form 4 and 5 Science in Malay. It was hard work as I had to translate text from English into Malay for my class because not reference books in Science in Malay were in the market then.

To ensure their success in the SPM exam, I volunteered to give extra class to the hostellites at weekends.

Imagine my joy when the school's results in Sains Am (General Science) improved from 5% to 25% and the Principal Encik Yaakub Isa personally thanked me for doing a good job. This job satisfaction was beyond description.

I was so close to the students that they did not feel shy to ask me questions about Science when they encountered difficulties in their studies.

Although I am now teaching as a free lance tutor, I still enjoy teaching because I like to interact with my students so as to talk about something that interests them to kill boredom in the classroom.

No comments: