Saturday, January 12, 2008

Students Exchange Programme

Have you ever taken part in a students exchange programme? Well, I have. I took part in the programme when I was studying in Form 3.

It was so memorable that I can still recall the activities organised by the Ministry of Education vividly.

It was so memorable that I can still recall the activities organised by the Ministry of Education vividly.

There were 40 students from Penang, Kedah, Perak and Selangor who participated in this programme. They were Malays, Chinese and Indians.

One of the aims of the programme was to foster racial integration as solidarity is vital for a multiracial country like Malaysia.

We stayed at a few bungalows at Penang Hill. We sang, played games and talked about our different cultures through group discussions. Each group also put up a sketch on talent time night. Some of the sketches had us in stitches and we had a very enjoyable night.

After staying for four days our friendship really grew and when we sang 'Au Lang Syne’ to bid good-bye to one another, tears rolled down our cheeks. We then exchanged postal addresses on the last day.

I corresponded with Samy, Clara Ng and Freddie from Selangor after the event.

One of them even put me up in his house and took me to the hospital to visit my aunt who was undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer. He was Samy whose picture shown below was the only photo I had to bear testimony to the above event. The rest was no longer with me.

So much for students exchange programme in this post.




Samy with his scooter

No comments: