Saturday, March 27, 2010

At my late father's grave

This morning, I was with my sister and brother-in-law when we went to clean up the mess at my late father's grave ten days ahead of Cheng Beng Festival. As it was a Saturday, the graveyard was full of people who came for the same purpose.

We pulled out weeds that grew on the grave over the year. According to my brother-in-law, people in the area had sprayed weed-killer on the grass and as it rained the day before, he told me not to pull out the weeds bare-handed. Hence I used old newspapers to act as a shield between my fingers and the weeds still with remnants of weed-killer. It was nearly an hour's job before the grave looked presentable. Then we put cakes which we brought in front of the grave to pray. Burning of paper money and clothing were done later.

According to belief of the Chinese, those who show respect to their late parents and grandparents will be successful in life. It is this belief the makes Cheng Beng Festival stay until now.

No comments: